Category Archives: Internships
The State Education Department (SED) has internships available for undergraduate and graduate students attending any SUNY institution statewide. Opportunities are available at SED locations in Albany and Brooklyn. Visit the SED website for more information about internship details and descriptions of current assignments. Students who are interested in applying, please contact Anita DeCianni-Brown at Anita.Brown@esc.edu.
Internship opportunity for students interested in Auditing, Business Management Accounting, Human Resources and Administration and Project Management. Selected students will have 22.5 hours per week of class/experiential learning and 15 hours working for the NYS Comptroller’s Office on project-based work. At the end of the internship, students will receive either 12 or 13 upper level credits. Visit the website for more information about the Academy, and details on how to apply.
Several internships for Summer 2015 are currently available with the ACLU. Students interested in these opportunities, visit their website for internship descriptions.
SUNY Empire State College students pursuing degrees in information systems or information technology have an opportunity to be part of a pilot internship program with the NYS Office of Information Technology Services and earn credits. In this 15-week unpaid internship, students will work for 15 hours per week and they will be required to conduct on-site activities for 4–7 hours each week and they will have a chance to complete the rest of their activities remotely. The internship description is outlined below. Students who are interested in applying should discuss the opportunity with their primary mentor to make sure that this will fit into their degree plan.
Applications should be submitted by February 2 to Mete Cetiner at Mete.Cetiner@esc.edu.
The application needs to include:
- Cover letter
- Names of 2-3 references (with one of those being the primary mentor)
- List of IS/IT studies completed
- Create a template for blueprints so the NYS Office of IT Services, being in the business of IT, can build solutions/applications without any ambiguity. This template will be become the standard and best practice for the NYS Office of IT Services.
- Develop a set of blueprints in an iterative manner. Define the components to be found in all blueprints (R&D, proof of concept, and final).
Skills and Experience
The applicant will work in a fast paced environment with a small team of enterprise architects. This is an opportunity for talented applicants who can leverage their skills to help accomplish the team vision, crave the opportunity to learn new skills, and aren’t afraid to tackle big projects. As an intern you will work with a variety of IT and business staff and network with other government IT professionals, while contributing to a meaningful and high-profile project.
- Perform and review critical data analysis from multiple disparate sources and translate findings in both technical and business terms.
- Communicate with both business and technology driven individuals while being able to provide superior customer service.
- Evaluate current and proposed applications, platforms, products, tools, and frameworks to ensure strategic portfolio fit.
- Utilize Microsoft Office software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Visio) and different database systems.