Monthly Archives: March 2015
The Trauma Research Education for Undergraduates (REU) program is a joint effort by Syracuse University, SUNY Upstate Medical University, and SUNY Oswego designed to improve access to research experiences for groups typically underrepresented in research. The program is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF). The entire program spans one year and is designed as follows:
• First, students will attend an intensive four-week summer program (June 1-26, 2015) that will involve coursework, mentored student-faculty interaction, and the development of a research project. A $3,000 stipend does accompany this summer session; room and board at Syracuse University is included at no cost to the student (but is optional).
• Second, students are expected to conduct their research under the continued mentorship of REU faculty during the following Fall semester.
• Finally, students (with their mentors) are expected to present research findings in the following Spring at a national or international conference.
For undergraduates interested in pursuing a graduate education, it is sometimes difficult to find meaningful research experiences and mentoring. This program is designed to provide research training to both increase your skills in conducting trauma research but also increase your ability to gain admission to competitive graduate programs.
1. Veteran Status (U.S. Armed Forces) is preferred but not required – a limited number of spaces will be available for non-veterans interested in this program.
2. Completion of college-level courses in Psychology Methods and Statistics, or the equivalent.
3. Current GPA of 3.0 or higher, and;
4. Completed application by April 15, 2015.
5. We are particularly interested in applications from women and minorities
In this program, you will:
• Participate in an intensive, four-week summer research program at Syracuse University, and earn $3,000 by attending.
• Be mentored by our faculty and conduct research on a trauma-related topic.
• Present your findings at a national or international conference, and perhaps publish these findings.
• Gain valuable research experience through hands-on opportunities.
• Veterans pursuing an undergraduate degree are invited to participate in this program.
• Undergraduates who are non-Veterans may also be eligible to participate in this program.
For more information:
“Leave No Veteran Behind” Veterans Employment Fair & Expo
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Veterans Seeking Employment
John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Terminal 5 – TWA Flight Center
New York, NY 11430
For more details and to Register for this event, visit:
The SCI TECH Career Connection is an annual consortium of students and employers in a 15-county region of upstate New York. Students of STEM disciplines from 14 regional colleges and universities are invited to participate. Don’t miss this chance to network and speak with upstate area regional employers about job and internship openings in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.
2015 SCI TECH Career Connection
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
University Union, Binghamton University
4400 Vestal Parkway East, Vestal, NY
12 p.m. Keynote Speaker, Dr. Thomas R. Martin
1 p.m. HR Panel Presentation
1 p.m. Industry Presentation Panel
2-4:30 p.m. SCI TECH Job and Internship Fair
For more details and the list of registered employers: scitech_brochure_studentcopy
New York State Office of Information Technology Services currently has two paid positions for Summer 2015:
– Enterprise Architecture Assistant (ID: 102961):
ESC students who are interested in one or both of these opportunities and have 10-30 hours of availability per week to work on-site in Albany should submit their applications via the NYS Internship Portal. Please note that this is a continuous recruitment so students are strongly encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. After submitting their applications, students are also encouraged to send a copy of their resumes to Mete.Cetiner@esc.edu as well.SU
- Provide technical support to ADT customers over the phone.
- Provide exceptional service and support to customer by troubleshooting customer technical alarm issues effectively and completely over the phone.
- Must be customer obsessed and ensure first contact resolution with our customers delivering excellent service in every experience.
- Evaluate customers concern and resolve problems to customer satisfaction.
- Make the necessary and appropriate decision to dispatch an authorized service provider when on-site service is required.
- Creation and proper assignment of service tickets.
- Receive incoming calls from servicing dealers for purposes of assisting with the actual service call.
- Maintain individual performance relative to inbound phone answer rates and customer satisfaction as well as contributing to team goals and performance.
- Effectively utilize both customer service skills as well as technical abilities to satisfy our customer’s equipment needs.
- Completion of ADT Technical Training (TAG)
- Process calls as well as working emails/callbacks for Pulse, Commercial, and special project customers
- Flexible and willing to provide support on special projects as assigned by management.
- Associates degree, Bachelor’s degree, technical certificate preferred or 2 years related experience preferred
- Must possess demonstrated troubleshooting and technical skills (candidate MUST be able to provide examples of troubleshooting techniques),
- Intermediate to advanced computer knowledge, apps usage, cloud technology, networking and camera/DVRs
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate in a variety of situations.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and strong organizational skills
- Outstanding customer service skills and dedication to the customer service experience.
- Demonstrated technical experience with ADT or like experience in another organization.
- Has met or exceeded performance expectations in previous positions.
Our Customer Service Monitoring Center, located at 285 Thruway Park Dr; West Henrietta, New York 14586.
If interested please call Wanda Leenhouts at 585-359-8362 or email me at email@example.com
ADT LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
Want to learn more about ADT?
Visit us online at jobsatadt.com or on facebook.
WDR, CPA of Queensbury, NY is searching for a self-motivated professional to join our team as a Staff Auditor. WDR auditing practice is focused around client service and education so you will be joining a dynamic group of professionals who are exposed to a wide variety of tasks and projects to include: complex audit projects, review engagements, financial statement preparation for not-for-profits, government and employee benefit plans, reviewing policy and procedures, advising on organizational improvements, etc. Along with auditing, the Staff Auditor will work with tax preparation for individuals, corporations and not-for-profits, developing a full range of experience within this busy firm. The position is ideal for a career oriented individual looking for progression in the field. For the right individual, the firm offers potential progressive opportunities in management and partnership.
- Bachelor’s degree by spring 2015 with active progression toward CPA license or Master’s degree by spring 2015
- Proficiency with MS Word and MS Excel
- Knowledge of QuickBooks, Adobe Acrobat and Outlook a plus
- Strong communication, team building, leadership and organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical ability and detail orientation
- 1-3 years of audit/accounting experience
- Prior experience with not-for-profit and governmental audits
- Advanced degree from an accredited university
- CPA license or other professional certifications
All interested candidates send their resumes to Colin at firstname.lastname@example.org and reference: Staff Auditor Position in the subject line (to avoid the email system sending the emails to Spam).
Are you interested in joining a highly professional organization on the forefront of the growing field of government auditing? The Comptroller’s office is recruiting individuals who want to join a team that is committed to excellence, professionalism and accountability in government.
The State Comptroller is New York State’s chief fiscal officer, responsible for governmental and financial oversight of state agencies, public authorities, local governments and school districts. As an Abandoned Property Accounts Auditor, Auditor of Municipal Affairs or State Program Examiner (Fiscal) with the Comptroller’s Office, there are multiple opportunities to help make government operations more efficient and effective.
Auditors/Examiners could work on a variety of audits of unclaimed funds, State expenditures, State agencies, public authorities, not-for-profit organizations that receive State funding, school districts and local governments such as towns and villages. You will provide on-site services to local and state governments and will be required to travel to localities with your assigned region.
Your work will help to ensure that tax dollars are spent prudently and productively. You will perform financial and performance audits that help to ensure that taxpayers are getting their value for their tax dollars. By stressing opportunities to improve accountability, reduce waste and enhance productivity, our Auditors/Examiners fulfill the Comptroller’s responsibility to oversee the fiscal concerns of State and local governments.
You will receive extensive training, and your work experience will foster your professional development (some work will qualify for CPA licensing). Staff training programs focus on current trends and standards in the accounting and auditing profession, including providing diverse non-audit services e.g., consulting services. You will also be provided training in many other skills that will help you effectively perform your assignments and otherwise learn and advance. As an Auditor/Examiner, you will have a unique opportunity to develop your management and communication skills as you identify opportunities to improve taxpayer-funded programs. You will be responsible for communicating with high-level government personnel and for performing detailed analysis of government-operated programs using the most current technological tools.
Offices are located around the State including Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Glen Falls, Hauppauge, Newburgh, New York City, Rochester, and Syracuse. The areas below are where vacancies currently exist.
Positions exist in the following offices:
Albany – Vacancies Available Now!
Binghamton – Vacancies Available Now!
Buffalo – Vacancies Available Now!
Glens Falls – Vacancies Available Now!
Hauppauge – Vacancies Available Now!
Newburgh – Vacancies Available Now!
Rochester – Vacancies Available Now!
Syracuse – Vacancies Available Now!
New York City – Vacancies Available Now!
Minimum Qualifications and Required Skills:
Trainee level and salary are based on Education and Experience
To qualify, you must hold a Bachelor’s or Graduate’s Degree and at least 24 credit hours in accounting and/or auditing.
You will then participate in a web-based examination questionnaire that is the basis for evaluating your academic record and experience. All candidates are ranked according to their overall qualifications. There is no written exam. Your score will be based on the following: overall grade point average; grade point average in your major and/or in accounting/auditing; other relevant coursework; internships and/or community/campus/professional activities; and qualifying work experience.
It is essential that you describe your education and experience as completely as possible. Ambiguity, vagueness, or omissions will not be decided in the candidate’s favor. You will be required to submit resume and transcripts for verification of education and experience. Please note: the online examination questionnaire is a prerequisite for employment.
Great Benefits, Opportunity for Advancement and Professional Development
• New York State offers a generous benefit package.
• Starting salary is $42-52,000 depending on education, experience and location, with annual increases to approximately $66,000.
• Significant opportunity for advancement to supervisory positions with commensurate salary increases.
• Extensive training and opportunity to gain qualifying experience necessary for Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and other professional licensing.
• Flexible work schedules.
Apply Now! Go to the Exam/Position Announcement for instructions to apply.
Apply by February 28, 2015 to be added to the March 2015 list.
For more information about the application process for these positions, please email email@example.com Subject: Heart-Sp-15.
When completing the examination questionnaire, please enter Heart-Sp-15 as your recruitment code.
To learn more about OSC and for information on additional opportunities, visit http://www.osc.state.ny.us The NYS Office of the State Comptroller is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), in cooperation with our partners, has developed a number of programs that offer all this – Veterans Fire Corps, Veterans Fire Corps Project Leader, and HistoriCorps. We are now accepting applications for these summer 2015 programs.
Since 2011, SCA’s Veterans Fire Corps has given over 130 military veterans the opportunity to continue to answer the call to service, while providing participants with the essential training, credentials, and experience necessary to competitively pursue a career in wildland fire and forestry.
Members of the 2015 Veterans Fire Corps will live and work on three- to six- month teams in locations across the country where they’ll build camaraderie with other veterans and emerging conservation professionals who share a passion for service. In addition to housing, travel, training, and a living allowance, members will receive a $1493 AmeriCorps award.
Leaders of the 2015 Veteran Fire Corps will lead, educate, and inspire Corps Members for the Veteran Fire Corps programs. Leaders will supervise teams of ﬁve Veteran members to complete ﬁre/fuels management work.
VFC Leader candidates must be a minimum of 21 years of age, have a current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certiﬁcation, minimum 2 years prior experience supervising groups in an outdoor setting, extensive ﬁre line, chainsaw, or veterans programming experience (preferred skills: S212 federal chainsaw certiﬁcation and S130/S190 federal ﬁre certiﬁcation); if a Veteran, must have been honorably discharged. View the full position description and apply at here.
The Veterans Historic Preservation Program, a partnership between SCA and HistoriCorps, is an excellent opportunity for those who want to help save America’s historic places while learning a conservation ethic and gaining technical knowledge and hands on experience in historic preservation. After completing orientation and training, the crew travels as a group from project to project, executing a specific scope of work under the guidance of HistoriCorps preservation professionals. Members will learn historic preservation techniques to include caprpentry, roofing, log work, masonry and other trade skills
Please refer interested veterans to our Veteran Opportunities page to learn more and apply today.
All application fees are waived for U.S. Military Veterans. Members receive valuable training, housing, living allowance.
Hornblower is hiring in New York!
They are currently recruiting individuals interested in roles in hospitality services, marine maintenance, office administration, event coordination, sales, IT and more.
Upcoming Job Fairs:
Thursday, March 26, 2015
Thursday, April 9, 2015
Thursday, May 21, 2015
All Job fairs will be held from 10 am – 6 pm at Pier 40 in the West Village, 353 West Street, Pier 40, New York, New York.
Apply on their website: http://www.hornblowerny.com